Wednesday, August 2, 2017

July 31, 2017 Trainer to Elder Maiz, "Corn on the Cobbley"

Hello everyone! Another good week here in Badajoz.
Well the week started out pretty crazy! Since I was called to train I had to leave here on Monday and travel all the way down to Málaga . I ended up leaving here Monday afternoon at around 5 o'clock. I then went and stayed the night in Sevilla. Oh yeah funny story so the other Elders who were supposed to pick me up in Sevilla were super late, so I ended up standing alone on the street waiting by the church for an hour so that was fun haha lots of awkward looks as people passed me by. Anyways they eventually showed up and we walked forever to their piso. Then next morning got up early to go catch my train down to Málaga . Yeah I got lucky this time and got a train so that was sweet! So Tuesday we had a little trainers training meeting then we got assigned to our new little gringocitos. Afterwards we got to go to the mission home, it was my first time haha! So we caught the cercanías out to Fuengirola where President lives. Man that city is sooo nice. Basically just feels like a vacation town. They made us some nice taco salads for dinner with ranch dressing! Haha I forgot how good salad dressing was after only having vinegar and tuna on salads for the past year. We all stayed the night there then the next morning we were off again back to Badajoz. This time we weren't as lucky with our travel plans. Our first bus left Málaga at 3 pm. Then we caught another bus in Sevilla at 7. So we didn't end up getting back to Badajoz till 10, so that traveling really wore on me for the rest of the week. 
Anyways so far training has been good. My companion is named Elder Cobbley he is from Illinois the land of the corn so everybody calls him corn on the Cobbley or Elder Maíz (Corn). Its pretty funny. 
When he first got here the branch presidents family and I got him with a pretty funny little joke. So we went to their house pretending they were old investigators who wanted to be taught again. About halfway through the lesson his wife was like I'm thirsty go get something to drink. So they brought out some Tinto de Verano sin Alcohol. So it basically looks exactly like wine but doesn't have any alcohol in it. So im like oh sorry guys like thank you so much but we don't drink alcohol and they pretend to be super offended and are telling us oh the missionaries before drank it no big deal and stuff haha. So eventually they are like alright if you drink just this little cup we will come to church with you guys for the next 2 months. I pretend to hesitate for a minute and am like alright and just chug it. Oh man you should've seen the look on my companions face, it was priceless hahaha. So then we are just like alright whose gonna tell him and President just hands him the bottle. Man it was so funny he was just in shock for the next hour the poor kid but it was a fun little prank that'll make the first day of his mission memorable haha. 
He is learning super fast though, he already speaks way better Spanish than I did at that point in my mission so thats good. We have just been practicing a lot reading Preach my Gospel out loud in Spanish during our comp study to work on pronunciation so thats helping a lot. 

For my birthday the branch president had us over for dinner and some cake. He also gave me this really awesome case for my Predicad mi Evangelio from his mission in Peru some funny socks and some cereal from America yummy! Haha they are the best! Then at the end the best surprise of all, they turned on the tv and there they were my family! They surprised me with a nice little video singing for my birthday. Thanks so much you guys you're the best! 💙💙💙

Okay so last two little things. This Sunday a sister missionary who had served here about a year ago came through with her family to visit. So I got to translate for them in the classes. Man it was pretty rough haha cause I can like understand everything but remembering all of the words in english and trying to make a good translation while listening for the next phrase is super hard. After church my brain was just completely fried haha. It was kind of a fun opportunity though. 

Last of all we had a cool little miracle. So we had left our piso and were on our way to an appointment that was far away so we decided to take the bus. So we were waiting for the bus to come and right as it pulled up I realized my wallet wasn't in my pocket which had our only money in it. So I kind of panicked we looked all over the ground by the bench and everything but no luck. So we ran back to piso and there it was under a piece of paper on our table. At this point though we were going to be late if we waited the 30 minutes for the next bus so we started speed walking across town. On the way some guy sweeping the streets started waving us down. I wasn't sure if he was just one of those people that just wanted to yell at us or what so we kind of approached him cautiously. Turns out he is a member that the other elders have been trying to get in contact with forever but had gotten a new phone so they had no way of reaching him. It was pretty cool that I just happened to forget my wallet so we walked through a way that we wouldn't have ever passed through otherwise right in the moment that he was there. The lord works in mysterious ways.. 

Anyways well thats about all, this ones been a little long sorry haha
 Love you all! 



- Elder Childers 

No comments:

Post a Comment