Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Oct 23 - Welcome to Cádiz


Bienvenido a Cádiz! said Antonio, (the second counselor) over the phone Saturday night, followed by, hey..... could you give a talk in church tomorrow..? Haha yeah so I got to introduce myself and give a talk on my first day! Thank goodness I’m a missionary and can wing these kinda things :) turned out really good though, everyone always seems enjoy my analogies about flying haha. 

Well it sure is beautiful here. We are basically on an island so there is water on all sides. Since the hermana area is closed right now we have the entire place to ourselves. We also have a little place on the other side of the bay called Puerto Real its pretty neat too. 
I arrived with not much trouble, besides 3 of the wheels breaking on my suitcases, thanks cobblestone roads. They clearly didn’t have missionary travel in mind when they designed the streets in this place! In Sevilla they are the worst and with the amount of tourists they have there I thought it was crazy. But I guess regular tourists don’t normally walk the 2 miles from the bus station to the train station so it’s not that big a deal. Yeah anyways my travel was a bus from Badajoz to Sevilla then a train from Sevilla to San Fernando then a Cercanías from there to here. Luckily the Cercanías station is right next to our piso here so I didn’t have to drag the bags much further. Got here at about 10 pm unpacked a few things and hit the hay. 
The past few days have been pretty good, I’ve gotten to meet a lot of the members which has been cool. There are some really awesome families here. There’s also this guy in our ward named Juan who owns like 4 jewelry stores and a few piso buildings. So he’s pretty loaded haha he drives a Mazeratti and just bought a new wake boat that he was trying to get us to go out on. I was pretty tempted by the offer haha but withstood :) 
Oh yeah another crazy thing that happened, my first day here we went to visit with a kid that they had played soccer with earlier this week. He had given them his address and told them they could pass by so we did. When we knocked on the door his mom answered and was super mad that we knew where he lived. I explained that we just play soccer with him but she just kept yelling about how he was still a minor and she gets to choose his friends and she didn’t want people like us being them... so we said alright well we will leave. As we are waiting for the elevator the door suddenly flies open again and the dad comes out in fighting stance with his fists up. He was this short dude who didn’t look very threatening so I kinda smirked just like dude what are you doing we are leaving! Well he didn’t think my smile was funny haha he’s like “You laughin at me kid!? I’m just like no am I not allowed to be happy haha and told him to chill that we were leaving. So he just starts yelling saying never come around here again. I don’t want to see you anywhere near this building you understand me? Yeah so finally the elevator arrived and we got out of there, it was a fun little experience though. I just don’t understand some people.. 
Well yeah that basically sums it up. My new comp is Elder Zapata and I’m greenie breaking him but there’s not a whole lot of breaking to do cause he’s already a beast missionary. He already understands spanish perfectly cause his Dad is from Mexico and his Mom served a mission in Ecuador. So they would speak spanish together whenever they didn’t want the kids to know what they were talking about. Over time though the kids started to understand. 
So yep we’re just hangin out here I took a bunch of pictures today. Its a pretty touristy place. My first afternoon here there were 3 cruise ships in the port. We have also heard a ton of different languages being spoken around us. The coast is super pretty and the beaches looks awesome but we are supposed to avoid the main ones as much as possible cause ya know swimsuits are just too restrictive for the spanish culture, they prefer to let it all hang out.. yikes.

Well that’s about it. Hasta la próxima!
Have a great week, as always I send my love :)


- Elder Childers 

No comments:

Post a Comment