Monday, February 12, 2018

Feb 5, 2018 - Mission Changes, road trip, baptism of Francesco

Hello everyone! 
Well as some of you may have heard as of July 1st my mission will no longer exist! Well it really won’t be that dramatic. We will be consolidated into the Madrid and Barcelona missions. So Spain will now just have two missions instead of three. Anyways this will not inflict a very large change for me since it will be during my very last transfer. The only difference will be that I will come home from a different mission home and I won’t know which one that will be until that last transfer day. Basically the area we are in when the change happens will determine which mission we will then be apart of. There will not be any dramatic area transfers or anything on July 1st,  just the borders will change. It should be pretty exciting, part of me wishes it could happen earlier so I could experience it a little more. It should still be pretty interesting having a new mission president for the last month though. 

Alright about the week now. 
My companion had to go down to Fuengirola to pick up his new residency card so we got to take a little road trip. I’m not sure if you remember Dad but when we went to the state police to get the background check for my visa we ran into an elderly couple headed to my mission. Well anyways their name is the Manwarings they are serving over at the Rota naval base, and they gave us a ride there. It was really cool cause we took the scenic route. We basically drove the whole southern coastline. We passed by Algeciras and could see Africa clearly from there it was a beautiful view! They also spoiled us with lots of good american snacks 😋

The most awesome part of the week though was when the elders in my district had a baptism! The guy’s name was Francesco and he is from Chile :) I had the opportunity to go over to Chiclana on Tuesday to do his baptismal interview. Man it was such a spiritual experience! We went through all the questions then at the end I shared D&C 20:37 with him. 

And again, by way of commandment to the church concerning the manner of baptism--All those who humble themselves before God, and desire to be baptized, and come forth with broken hearts and contrite spirits, and witness before the church that they have truly repented of all their sins, and are willing to take upon them the name of Jesus Christ, having a determination to serve him to the end, and truly manifest by their works that they have received of the Spirit of Christ unto the remission of their sins, shall be received by baptism into his church.”

As we read the scripture together I felt the spirit wash over me confirming that he was ready to make this step. I could tell that he felt it also. Such a powerful experience! He was baptized Saturday night and we were able to attend. It’s always a really awesome to be a firsthand witness of the joy these people feel when choosing to follow Christ’s example. 

Well yeah that’s basically all the good stuff this week. We are kinda in a hurry today cause lots of missionaries are coming to see Cadiz so we get to be tour guides again haha. I wish you all the best though, have a great week :)


- Élder Alex M. Childers 

No comments:

Post a Comment