Monday, January 8, 2018

Jan 8, 2018 Dia de los Magos

Well this week has seriously been all over the place. 
Most people have been super busy with the holidays because it was dia de los reyes magos. Basically their Christmas here. Instead of santa bringing gifts the 3 wise men bring them. Its pretty interesting how Christ has been completely taken out of the picture though. A lot like how Christmas in the states becomes more about Santa and less about Christ every year. Oh yeah so we decided to make cookies for all of the people who live in our building for New Years and they loved it! Now we are great friends with all of them. We’ve seen a bunch of them in the street the past couple of days and most of them have stopped to greet us which is cool. 
With the holidays everyone has been super busy with family and parties so we ended up in the street a lot contacting people and knocking doors. We were able to have a lesson with Jose Antonio which went pretty well. We changed his baptismal date to the 27th because he said he didn’t feel quite ready yet. On Sunday he was sick with a fever and wasn’t able to make it to church. Hopefully he will get better and we can meet some more this week. 

I have still been listening to conference talks almost every morning while I get ready. I was cooking breakfast Wednesday morning and it just so happened that two of Thomas S. Monson’s talks came on. One from Saturday afternoon and the other in priesthood session. They both included stories he’s shared a few times and I like a lot. I was thinking about how much I loved his talks because they are always humorous yet powerful. I thought back on watching the priesthood session with Dad when he gave the talk “Examples of Righteousness” during which he wiggled his ears. About 20 minutes later as we were doing our daily planning we got the call that he had passed away. It was really sad because he’s the first prophet that I really remember well. I’m sure he is in a better place now though, happy with his loved ones. My companion and I watched the short film the church has made that is available on the gospel library application. It’s called  “On the Lords Errand: The Life of Thomas S. Monson.” It is way good! When you have a little bit of time watch it! He truly was a prophet of the lord, I love teaching that principle to people. If God called prophets in biblical times, why would he leave us in the dark nowadays? The answer is, he hasn’t! “Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.” It is such a blessing to have living prophets in the latter days. I’m so grateful for the teachings of the prophet Thomas S. Monson that have truly effected my life. I invite all to study his talks and teachings they will change your life. 

Lots of love, Feliz día de los Reyes! Have a great week :) 

- Élder Alex M. Childers 

Hey!

Wow thats so crazy the ward splitting again already. So much growth going on around there. What families did we lose/ gain in the ward that I would know? 
Thats great the brother warner is the bishop, he will do a good job, great guy. 

Real bummer that its been such a bad snow year. Sorry guys, I guess its all just being saved for me next year! Can’t wait to hit the slopes with ya’ll again :) 

I’m glad you mentioned that about Nelson, I thought that he might the one who sealed you but I wasn’t sure. Thats so awesome! Yeah I’m curious to see who the counselors will be too, my guess is he keeps them the same.. but we’ll have to wait and see! 

It looks like I will be here for the next 6 weeks. My companion and I are both staying this transfer so that’s nice. I was a little stressed thinking I might have to pack everything up and move again. I got the package with the Nutella this week and its soooo good! Its a huge glass jar! Should last us for quite a while, thanks :) 
Thanks for informing me about the christmas money too, rebajas start today so I’m going to try to find some slides and stuff cause mine keep falling apart. 

Anyways thanks also for sending the master tonic recipe. I’m going to try to find the ingredients at the store today. That stuff is the best :) 

Also yeah thanks for getting on that new calendar too. I’ve been just trying to note down a couple things each day in a notebook so i can fill in when it gets here. 

Hey we talked about Moses chapter 1 in church yesterday! Really cool section :) 
There is power in the lords name! 

Love you :) 

- Élder Alex M. Childers 

No comments:

Post a Comment